Mental Health Awareness Certification
About this course
Learn how to manage Mental Health issues!
According to the mental health charity Mind, one in four adults experience a mental health problem every year and one in six experience a mental health issue each week. These issues affect people from all walks of life – no one is immune to psychological distress.
Although mental illness is relatively common, sufferers often feel too ashamed to seek help. In some cases, this can have devastating consequences – mental illness diminishes an individual’s quality of life and can even result in suicide.
Fortunately, simply being aware of the signs, causes and treatment can create a safe environment – whether at home or in the workplace – whereby people feel as though they can talk about their problems and access appropriate interventions. This course will provide you with an introduction to the concept of mental illness, the signs and symptoms of the most common mental illnesses and how mental distress can be successfully managed.
What you'll learn:
You Will Learn:
- What is meant by the terms “mental health” and “mental illness”, how psychological distress manifests itself and how mental illness impacts a person’s life.
- The main symptoms of depression, anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
- The symptoms of schizophrenia, the truth behind common misconceptions surrounding this illness and the nature and impact of psychosis.
- How medication and talk-based therapies are used in the treatment and management of mental illness, and why some people with mental illness need to stay in hospital on an inpatient basis.
- How and why people self-harm, the nature of suicidal thoughts and how to help someone who is contemplating ending their own life.
Heads up! Our courses has been hand-picked for retirees from our affiliate partners. If you buy something through one of our course links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we might get a small commission to support our community, which helps keep the lights on. Thanks for supporting us!
Fantastic Online Course
Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Diploma it's a fantastic online course. Very informative, easy to follow sessions with a test facility at the end of each session. You can complete this at your own pace any time of day or night, without any pressure and there is even help if you need it with tutors online. I would highly recommend New Skills Academy to anyone looking to gain a qualification but needs time to complete the course or cannot attend classes.
Julie Roach – Redditch, New Skills Academy learner partner of 4Retirees.
Yvonne Watkins, York, New Skills Academy learner, partner of 4Retirees