Technology has developed at a rapid rate and shows no signs of slowing down. And for people who aren’t yet sure about how to really navigate this digital realm it can seem like you’ve been left behind. But the truth is, it isn’t as hard to learn as one might think. In fact, there are so many new resources available to help people of all ages learn digital literacy. And in the world we live in today, this is so important because it can be so much harder if you’re not digitally inclined. The internet and technology in general can really enrich one’s way of life. The great news is that it only takes you having to learn the fundamentals for it to be life changing. Which is even more reason to start learning but if you’re still not convinced here are some of the benefits to becoming digitally literate:
Once you become digitally literate, you’ll be able to navigate the internet and use technology with both confidence and understanding.
- Learning digital literacy will help you protect yourself online and teach you what to keep private and how. It will also teach you what to look out for and what to protect yourself from.
- Being able to use technology and the internet can give you access to a whole new part of life that the rest of the world is already enjoying the benefits of.
- With access to the internet you can learn to do almost anything. There are thousands of resources, courses, workshops, tutorials, blogs and books on almost any topic you would ever want to know about.
You can connect with your friends and family no matter where in the world they are with instant messaging and video calls.
Which is a great way to feel less isolated and apart of, especially if your family lives abroad.
- With enough digital literacy to safely use social media, you can meet new friends, discover new things and even join communities and group of people who enjoy the same things as you.
- You will also be able to have a voice in the world and get to express yourself and your opinions in different ways. You can sign petitions that mean something to you or start important conversations about things you care about.
- Becoming more digitally literate can also allow you to better monitor your health. Nowadays it’s never been easier to track your own heart rate, find healthy recipes and even sign up to receive reminders to take your medication.
- You can also use the internet to improve your well-being as you can sign up for online dancing classes for seniors, or other physical activities. You can even get counseling or see a therapist over the internet now.
Digital literacy will open a whole new world of entertainment for you.
Books, podcasts, movies, music and so much more are all right at your fingertips when you’re online.
- With your new digital literacy skills, you’ll also be able to step up your online shopping game. Learn to compare prices, look for and apply coupons and to check out safely just like you’d do at a physical store.
- With access to the internet, you also gain access to tons of job and money-making opportunities that you would have had before. Not to mention you’ll also be more employable if you know your way around technology.
- You will also be able to learn to use apps and tools that will help you to manage your finances. Which can be a huge game changer especially if you struggle at sitting down to budget or keeping track of your expenses.
Digital literacy can make your life a lot more convenient in so many ways.
There are so many things you can get done from the comfort of your home all via the internet. You may be surprised to know that you can even do your grocery shopping and banking… even learn to do your own postal services.
- Transportation has never been easier than it is now. If you know how, you can quickly and easily get a lift on short notice.
- Digital literacy will also improve the way you travel as you can check and book everything yourself and even read reviews before you decide to stay anywhere. You can also compare deals and save money on your trips.
- In need help with something tricky or even need help with navigation? Having digital literacy training can enable you to get the information with minimal effort. Which can be lifesaving in times of emergency.
- Another wonderful benefit of taking up digital literacy offers is that you’ll join the community of retirees already online. You help pave the way for seniors to become more integrated in that part of our society and you can even teach your friends.
- If you’re looking to find romance again, having digital literacy skills may help in that department. You can join the world of online dating, which a growing rapidly in popularity among seniors.
Being part of the online world can keep you up to date with current events from all over the globe.
All this information is usually updated quickly, giving you live access to all the latest happening in sport and world news.
- Being connected online can also make it easier to get help around the house as you can hire people easily to do odd jobs for you. From moving heavy objects to washing your car, you can get things done you may have been putting off doing yourself.
If you’re looking to better understand technology and the internet, you should visit our community website. We’ve partnered with the Australian government to offer free digital literacy courses that will help you do just that. There are also tons of other great resources on our blog so feel free to check that out as well.